Monday, January 24, 2011

What is Story? Reading Response

Almost within the first sentence, I was struck with a quote that really hit home with me. That quote was, “if you are breathing you are a story teller.” In addition, “most of the time you don’t even realize you are telling stories,” drove home a strong point with me as well. Listening is key to being a good story teller. For example, “listening is observable evidence of curiosity.” I found the definition of story very enlightening, “story is a reimagined experience narrated with enough detail and feeling to cause your listeners’ imaginations to experience it as real.” Experience will always be the best tool used to teach someone. “Kidnapping, even for good reason [of forcing someone to have an experience], is frowned upon.” I found this quote quite hilarious, and I had to include it in this response. I was able to connect more with this text because I not only understood fully what the author was trying to say, but also connected with what the author was presenting to me. I agree that people are more likely to notice negative actions than happy ones and therefore people are constantly on the “monitor and correct” train. The author says that emotions are irrational, but I disagree with that. Emotions make us who we are and nothing in my opinion is more concrete than raw emotions. Organizing is critical to the right flow and delivery of a story. However, it is challenging for groups to come together to convey a story. Many thoughts gear towards many disagreements.

No comments:

Post a Comment